- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2
teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream shortening, sugar and salt. Stir in molasses, vinegar and egg.
- Sift together
and add the remaining ingredients.
- Chill mixture overnight.
- Divide dough into fourths. Roll one part of dough at a time on floured board
1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate remainder.
- Cut out gingerbread boys with sharp cookie
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees F about 6 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove. Decorate as desired.
Makes 55 to 65 boys.
Cookies will keep several months
in airtight container and indefinitely in freezer.