- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2
teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream shortening, sugar and salt. Stir in molasses, vinegar and egg.
- Sift together
and add the remaining ingredients.
- Chill mixture overnight.
- Divide dough into fourths. Roll one part of dough at a time on floured board
1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate remainder.
- Cut out gingerbread boys with sharp cookie
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees F about 6 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove. Decorate as desired.
Makes 55 to 65 boys.
Cookies will keep several months
in airtight container and indefinitely in freezer.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.