Gingerbread Cookie Cutouts
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup light (mild) molasses
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened
butter, no substitutions
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Stir baking soda into the molasses and set aside until pale brown and frothy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed, beat butter with sugar,
ginger and salt until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- At low speed, beat in molasses mixture and egg (mixture may look curdled). Gradually
add 4 3/4 cups of flour, beating just until blended and occasionally scraping the
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until thoroughly mixed, kneading in
- 1/4 cup of flour if necessary. Divide dough in half; wrap half of dough with
plastic wrap and set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a floured surface, with a floured rolling pin,
roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. With floured 3- to 4-inch cookie cutter, cut
dough into shapes, reserving the trimmings.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Transfer cookies to
wire racks to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Frost cookies after they have cooled. Allow frosting to harden completely, and
store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 12/17/2001 6:59 pm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cut Cookie Recipes