These are soft and puffy molasses cookies. Perfect for gingerbread boys!
- 1/3 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups dark molasses
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- Paste food
- Mix thoroughly the shortening, brown sugar and molasses; stir in water.
- Sift together remaining ingredients and stir in.
- Chill dough.
- Roll dough out very thick (1/2 inch). Cut with 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place
far apart on lightly greased baking sheet. You may sprinkle the tops with sugar
before you bake them.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched
lightly with finger.
Yields 1 dozen cookies; 1 cup frosting
Follow recipe for dough, except mix in 1 more cup of flour.
Roll out thick. Cut cookies out with a gingerbread boy cookie cutter.
Pipe Frosting as desired.
Combine first 4 ingredients. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer 1 minute
or until of piping consistency. Stir in food coloring as desired.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.