Glazed Autumn Leaf Cookies
"The crisp air seems to inspire us all to start baking again," said McCormick
Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. "Create an autumn frosting palate with our new
Color from Nature Food Colors, which are made from ingredients such as beets and
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Maple Extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until
light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and maple extract; mix well. Gradually beat in
flour mixture on low speed until well mixed.
- Roll dough on generously floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out leaves
with 2- to 3-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool on baking sheets
for 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare desired colors of glazes. Decorate cooled cookies with glazes.
- Glaze Variations: For the variations below, dissolve the designated amount of
the Color from Nature Food Colors with water in small bowl. Stir in any remaining
ingredients until smooth.
- To glaze cookies, hold a cookie by its edge and dip the top into the glaze. (Or
spoon the glaze onto cookies using a teaspoon.) Place iced cookies on wire rack
set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking sheet will catch
drips.) Let stand until glaze is set.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Servings: 36 cookies
Maroon Cookie Glaze: Use 1/2 teaspoon Berry color from McCormick
Color from Nature - Assorted Food Colors, 3 tablespoons water (plus additional to
dissolve color), 2 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder.
Forest Green Cookie Glaze: Use 1/2 teaspoon Sky Blue color and
1/4 teaspoon Sunflower color from McCormick Color from Nature - Assorted Food Colors,
3 tablespoons water (plus additional to dissolve color), 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder.
Pumpkin Cookie Glaze: Use 1 teaspoon Sunflower color and 1/4
teaspoon Berry color from McCormick Color from Nature - Assorted Food Colors, 3
tablespoons water (plus additional to dissolve color) and 2 cups confectioners’
Test Kitchen Tips
Use glaze soon after preparing. Do not refrigerate glaze, as it will begin to
Allow glaze to dry before storing cookies in airtight containers.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): McCormick
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cut Cookie Recipes