Lemon Jam Slices
A cross between a cookie and a bar, these are an easy way to make lots of delicious,
festive-looking treats for your family or for the neighborhood cookie swap.
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon powder
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two
- Beat together the soft butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and lemon powder
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and beat in the egg yolk.
- Mix in the baking powder and flour until well blended.
- Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 12"
long and 1 inch in diameter.
- Place two logs on each prepared baking sheet, leaving several inches between
them. Use the handle of a wooden spoon or a dowel to make a shallow trench down
the center of each log.
- Fill the well with a generous tablespoonful of jam per log, using a pastry bag
with a round tip, or a spoon.
- Bake the cookie logs for 18 to 20 minutes, until they're set and lightly
browned around the edges. Remove them from the oven, let them cool for 3 minutes,
then slice on the diagonal into 1" pieces.
- As the cookies cool, make the glaze: Sift together sugar and lemon powder.
- Heat butter and milk together until the butter is melted, then add to the sugar
mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.
Hands-on time: 20 to 30 min | Baking time: 18 to 40 min | Yield: 4 dozen cookies
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour