- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup maple or maple flavored syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Flaked coconut (optional)
- Soft cream cheese, buttercream frosting, and/or candied peel (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugar with mixer. Add egg and maple syrup, mixing until
smooth. Mix in maple extract. Gradually add flour to batter, beating well after
each addition. Cover dough and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight.
- Roll out dough about 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured pastry cloth. Cut with
various shaped cookie cutters. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle coconut
on unbaked cookies if desired.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 6 to 8 minutes, or until done. Watch cookies carefully
because they burn easily. Cookies are done when they are lightly browned around
- Remove from oven and transfer immediately to racks to cool.
- If coconut is not used, frost cooled cookies with buttercream frosting or spread
with soft cream cheese and top with candied peel, if desired. Cookies could also
be topped with jam, lemon curd, or chocolate glaze.
Yield: about 10 dozen 1 1/2 inch cookies
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 18, 2001.