Rolled Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorator sugar crystals
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add
1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Combine flour,
baking powder, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
Shape dough into a ball; cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Divide dough into thirds. Work with 1 portion of dough at a time, storing remainder
in refrigerator. Roll each portion to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Cut with a cookie cutter; place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.
Makes 20 (3-inch) cookies.