Banana Cake Cookies
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk (may need up to 5 tablespoons)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cookies: Cream shortening; add brown sugar, beating well.
Add eggs and banana; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to creamed
mixture; mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonsful, 2 inches apart onto greased cookies sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cool cookie sheets completely between batches by either running under cold
water or alternating with extra sheets.
- Dip half of cooled cookies into icing.
- Icing: Mix confectioners' sugar, butter and vanilla extract together. Add
milk to yield desired consistency, beating until smooth.
Yield: about 3 dozen