- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 ounces unsalted
- 3 ounces margarine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 8 ounces pecan halves
- 8 ounces walnut halves
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate,
- Toast walnuts and pecans in 200 degree F oven on cookie sheet 10 to 12 minutes
or until they develop a toasty aroma.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Place unsweetened chocolate, 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, butter, margarine
and espresso in top of double boiler and place over simmering (not boiling) water
until chocolate is about 3/4 melted.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with a wire whisk in a large mixing bowl.
add sugar, whisking until mixture becomes thick and light in color.
- When chocolate
is almost melted, remove from heat and stir until completely melted and satiny in
appearance. Gradually whisk chocolate into egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt directly into chocolate mixture.
Gently stir until the dry ingredients are barely incorporated.
- Cut the 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate into 1/2 inch chunks and stir into dough
along with the toasted nuts.
- Lightly butter 4 aluminum baking sheets. (do not use
foil or cookies will burn).
- Drop dough by tablespoonsful, 12 to a sheet, to leave
room for cookies to spread. Bake only one sheet at a time in center of oven.
at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies lose their shine. Cookies
will still be very soft.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans.
- Using a pin-size tip on an icing bag, pipe melted semi-sweet chocolate onto cookies
in a crisscross pattern.
- Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before storing in tins.
Makes 50 one-ounce cookies.
Posted by Pats Cookin at Recipe Goldmine 10/2/2001 7:54 pm.