Chocolate Comfort Cookies
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups extra-large semisweet chocolate chips (Nestl 's
- 1/2 cup sun dried cranberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 ounces best quality unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour (high altitude: add 2 more tablespoons
for a total of 2 1/4 cups flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 cup commercially-prepared Marshmallow Creme
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread nuts on an ungreased cookie sheet and roast for 7 to 12 minutes,
or until they are lightly browned and some skins have loosened. Set aside to
- Butter 2 cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine the chocolate chips, cranberries
and cooled nuts; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, cream cheese and
egg until very creamy and smooth.
- Beat in milk, melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, then add to the
- Blend in the Marshmallow Creme, stirring until thoroughly combined.
the chips, cranberries and nuts. Stir until well mixed. Batter will be thick.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure or an ice cream scoop, measure out batter and place
2 inches apart on cookie sheets, putting no more than 6 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 17 minutes, until puffed and baked through.
- Cool on sheet for 1 minute; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Yields 2 dozen.