Chocolate Sundae Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 squares melted unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 36 marshmallow halves
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cookies: Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mix and beat well 2/3 cup brown sugar, shortening and egg.
- Stir in half of the dry ingredients.
- Add maraschino cherry juice and milk.
- Add remainder of dry ingredients.
- Blend in melted chocolate, nuts and chopped maraschino cherries.
- Drop on cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Immediately after removing the cookies from the oven, place marshmallow half,
cut side down, on each hot cookie.
- Cool on rack.
- Frost with icing and top with half a nut.
- Frosting: Bring brown sugar, water and cocoa to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Add butter and vanilla extract.
- Cool slightly and add confectioners' sugar.