Coconut Cornflake Cookies with Variations
These are not the best-looking cookies in the world, but they are certainly yummy.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cornflakes cereal
- 1 to 2 cups coconut*
* or 3/4 cup chopped pecans, or 1/2 cup raisins
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream sugar, butter, shortening and vanilla extract until well-combined, light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes on medium speed.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add to butter mixture and combine just until mixed.
- Mix in cornflakes and pecans very carefully, preferably by hand or with hand mixer on low.
- Drop by spoonsful onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes until just barely golden around bottoms.
- Cool completely.