Giant Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies, a favorite at the turn of the century (circa 1900), remain favorites
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 (6 ounce)
package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- In large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Blend in
eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture; mix well.
- Stir in oats, chocolate pieces
- Divide dough in half. Spread each half to 3/4-inch thickness on prepared
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Makes two 11-inch cookies
Variation: Drop dough by rounded tablespoonsful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake
10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen 2 1/2-inch cookies.