- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add brown sugar and eggs and beat until well mixed,
then add molasses and vinegar and beat thoroughly.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and add slowly to butter mixture.
- Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop, space cookies two inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies have puffed and flattened and appear lightly dry.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In small bowl, mix all frosting ingredients with a whisk.
- Holding cooled cookies by the edges, dip tops into the frosting.
- Allow to cool, icing side up, on racks until the icing hardens.
- Store between layers of wax paper in an airtight container.
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
Source: Messenger-Inquirer, Owensboro, Kentucky - August 12, 2001