Molasses Oatmeal Jammies
- 1 /2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 cup for
- 1 egg
- 1 /2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup rolled
- 1 (10 ounce) jar apricot jam
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and the 1 cup of sugar
until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, molasses and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry
ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
the oats, then mix again.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour to make it easier
- Toward the end of chilling, heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets
with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Alternatively, work in batches with
1 baking sheet, being sure to allow it to cool after baking each round.
- Fill a shallow bowl or pie pan with the 1 cup of rolling sugar.
- Scoop the cookie
dough using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop. Roll each ball in the sugar, then arrange
them on the prepared baking sheet leaving a couple inches between the cookies for
spreading. Use your thumb to dimple the center of each cookie, then fill the depression
with a bit of apricot jam.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to
- Store in a single layer in an airtight container.
Makes 36 cookies.