Old-Fashioned Soft Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar plus
additional for sprinkling
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon
grated lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried
- In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt to combine thoroughly;
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer bowl, combine butter and sugar; beat until well-blended.
- Beat in eggs,
one at a time, mixing until fluffy after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and
lemon peel; mix to blend thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing until smooth after each
- Drop by tablespoons, placed well apart, onto well-greased baking sheets.
each cookie lightly with granulated sugar.
- Place one or two raisins or cranberries
in the center of each.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown (12 to 14 minutes).
at once to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 5 dozen 2 3/4-inch cookies.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.