- 1 orange
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup margarine or shortening
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 orange
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Dough: Grate peel of orange; cut orange in half and squeeze out juice.
You will have about 2 teaspoons peel and about 1/4 cup juice. Set peel and juice
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, margarine and eggs until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to egg mixture; beat until
- Add reserved 2 teaspoons orange peel and 1/4 cup reserved juice. Mix well.
- Drop dough by teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet, leaving room for cookies
to spread slightly.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 to 13 minutes, or until cookie
springs back in middle when touched. Cookies should be very light in color; rim of cookies will be a light brown.
- Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare glaze.
- Grate peel of orange; cut orange in
half and squeeze out juice. You will have about 2 teaspoons peel and about 1/4 cup
- Glaze: Blend 1 to 2 teaspoons of the orange peel (depending on taste), orange juice,
powdered sugar and melted margarine. Use to glaze cooled cookies, using about 1/2
teaspoon glaze per cookie.
Yield: About 7 dozen cookies
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001.