Paula Dean's Loaded Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Brown Butter Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups sifted powdered
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- Cookies: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 1 or more cookie sheets.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl
- Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color.
- Add buttermilk.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon,
cloves, and allspice; stir into creamed mixture.
- Fold in oatmeal, raisins, walnuts,
and vanilla extract, blending well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with Brown Butter Icing.
- Brown Butter Icing: In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until
golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 3 cups sifted
powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir in enough water (3 to 4 tablespoons)
to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle on warm cookies.
Yield: enough to ice 5 dozen cookies