These are soft, moist cookies.
- 1 cup soft shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 (9 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix thoroughly the shortening, sugar and egg.
- Stir in pineapple and its juice.
- Sift together and stir in flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in nuts.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Drop dough by teaspoon about 2 inches apart onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until no fingerprint remains when touched.