- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, sieved
- 2 tablespoons ground pecans
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or dark rum
- 1 large egg white
(at room temperature)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter baking sheets.
- In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, the ground pecans and the cornstarch.
- Add the bourbon and whisk the mixture until it is blended well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white with the cream of tartar and a pinch of salt
until it holds stiff peaks.
- Stir 1/3 of it into the sugar mixture and fold in the
remaining white. (The mixture will become more liquid.)
- Add the pecan halves, stirring
to coat them well.
- Arrange nuggets individually, rounded side up, 2 inches apart on
prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until they are puffed and golden
- Let the nuggets cool on the sheets for 1 minute.
- Transfer them to racks and let
them cool completely.
- The nuggets will keep in airtight containers for 5 days.
Makes about 100 nuggets.