Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin and chocolate chips make a great pair for Halloween. Add some strategically
placed chips when the cookies come out of the oven for eyes, then drizzle the glaze
for stripes, and you have the perfect party snack without a lot of fuss. For more
grownup tastes, add the optional orange zest.
- 2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated rind (zest) of 1 orange, optional
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cookies: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease two baking
sheets, or line them with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugars. Scrape down the sides
of the bowl, and beat briefly, just until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest, beating to blend.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating to blend. Stir in the chocolate chips
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop or soup spoon, drop the dough onto the prepared
baking sheets in 1 1/4-inch balls.
- Bake them on the middle oven rack for about 18
minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven,
and let them cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes before transferring them to racks.
- If desired, press two chocolate chips into each warm cookie to make eyes for
- Glaze: Stir together the sugar, milk and vanilla until the glaze
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the glaze and put back on the racks to
set; or drizzle in a pumpkin pattern, as we did for the photo.
- Place the cookies back on the rack for the glaze to set. Wrap loosely, and store
for several days at room temperature; freeze for longer storage.
Hands-on time: 45 min to 1 hr 25 min | Baking time: 17 to 19 min
Total time: 1 hr 5 min to 1 hr 25 min | Yield: 5 dozen
Nutrition information: Serving Size: 30g Servings Per Batch: 62 Amount Per
Serving: Calories: 101 Calories from Fat: 45 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans
Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 42mg Total Carbohydrate: 14 Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 10g Protein: 1g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Dropped Cookie Recipes