Pumpkin Cookies with Penuche Frosting
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cookies: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugars.
- Mix in pumpkin, egg and
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix into
the creamed mixture.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Drop dough by heaping spoonsful onto prepared
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Penuche Frosting: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and brown
sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Cool slightly, then stir in the milk and beat until smooth.
- Gradually stir in confectioners'
sugar until frosting has reached desired consistency.
- Spread on cooled cookies.
Yields 4 dozen.