Quaker's Best Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups Quaker oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Add combined dry ingredients; mix well.
- Stir in oats; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded
tablespoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie
or 10 to 11 minutes for a crisp cookie.
- Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
Stir in 1 cup raisins or other
diced dried fruit.
Stir in 1 cup chopped nuts.
Omit spices; stir in 1 cup chocolate, butterscotch or peanut butter flavor chips.
Bar Cookies: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased
13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool
completely; cut into bars.
Yields about 2 dozen.