Spicy Praline Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
Quick Praline Pecans
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped raw pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper*
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces chopped white chocolate or 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
* Use 1/4 teaspoon for mild heat or 1/2 teaspoon for a spicier cookie.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Quick Praline Pecans: In medium bowl, mix all ingredients until pecans are well coated.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until pecans are crisp and slightly golden.
- Let cool completely. For faster cooling, place in refrigerator or freezer.
- Cookies: While pecans are baking, prepare cookie batter.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, cayenne, baking soda and salt.
- Add oats and mix until combined.
- In separate large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs one a time, beating between each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, and stir.
- Fold in dry ingredients in three batches, gently mixing to combine after each addition.
- Repeat until batter comes together.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Once praline pecans have cooled, break any large clumps into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Fold pecans and white chocolate into batter.
- Drop dough in heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
Yield: 2 dozen
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin