Cherry-Filled Heart Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red maraschino cherry juice
- 12 red maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Additional sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and shortening; gradually add sugar.
Add egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Cover
and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Cherry Filling.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness; cut with
a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place half of the cookies
on greased baking sheets; spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each.
Use a 1 1/2-inch heart-shaped cutter to cut small hearts out of the other half
of the cookies. (Bake small heart cutouts separately.) Place the remaining hearts
over filled cookies; press edges together gently. Fill centers with additional
filling if needed. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool
on wire racks.
- Cherry Filling: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add juices,
cherries and butter. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minutes.
Yields about 4 1/2 dozen filled cookies.