Chocolate Filled Almond Macaroons
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 40 whole almonds (about)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 6 ounces bittersweet (not
unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter heavy large nonstick cookie sheets.
- Blend almond paste, sugar and egg whites in processor until smooth.
- Drop dough
by slightly rounded teaspoonsful onto prepared sheets, spacing evenly. Press 1 almond
onto each mound.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let cookies
rest on sheets until just cool to touch, about 5 minutes.
- Using spatula, transfer
cookies to rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store cookies
in airtight container at room temperature.)
- Bring cream, butter and orange peel to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Reduce
heat to low.
- Add chocolate and stir until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and
let ganache stand until thick but spreadable, about 20 minutes.
- Spread some ganache over flat side of 1 cookie. Sandwich with flat side of another
- Repeat with remaining cookies and ganache. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate in airtight container.
- Bring cookies to room temperature before
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.