Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature and soft
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- Peppermint candies, for decorating
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cookies: In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer, beat the 2 sticks of butter until creamy.
Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg
yolk and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Beat until well-blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until moistened and a stiff, crumbly
dough forms. Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, pat into a disk, wrap
and refrigerate until chilled.
- Divide the dough into quarters. On a lightly floured work surface, working with
one piece at a time and keeping the rest refrigerated, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch
thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible
and transfer to baking sheet. You will get more cookies than baking sheets. Put
the cut cookies onto a sheet of parchment.
- Bake 2 sheets of cookies in the oven for 10 minutes. Halfway through the baking,
switch the shelves and rotate the pans from front to back to insure even cooking.
- When ready, remove the cookies from the oven. Sprinkle half of the cookies with
crushed peppermint candies and return to the oven for a minute. Remove from oven
and slide the parchment onto a cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely. Repeat
with remaining cookies.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, beat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter
with the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, mint extract
and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling
on the undecorated cookies and top with the decorated cookie.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen sandwich cookies.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.