- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups pitted, chopped dates
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup dark raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Dough: With mixer on medium, beat shortening, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla
until light and creamy.
- Blend together flour, baking powder and salt; stir flour mixture into butter
mixture. Mixture will be slightly stiff.
- Refrigerate dough at least one hour.
- While dough is chilling, prepare date filling. Finely cut up or grind dates.
- Date Filling: Combine dates, sugar, raisins, orange peel and water in a saucepan. Cook slowly,
stirring constantly, 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Stir in nuts.
- Add nuts. (This makes about 2 1/3 cups filling.)
- Date-filled Treasures: Roll out chilled dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured
surface. Cut dough with a scalloped round cookie cutter, cutting 2 scallops for
each filled cookie.
- Place bottom pieces on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drop 1 rounded teaspoon
of date filling on each bottom cookie. Cover with top cookie piece and press edges
together to seal in filling.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges just begin
- Transfer from baking sheet to racks to cool.
Yield: About 5 dozen cookies
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.