- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups pitted, chopped dates
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup dark raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- For dough: With mixer on medium, beat shortening, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla
until light and creamy.
- Blend together flour, baking powder and salt; stir flour mixture into butter
mixture. Mixture will be slightly stiff.
- Refrigerate dough at least one hour.
- While dough is chilling, prepare date filling. Finely cut up or grind dates.
- Combine dates, sugar, raisins, orange peel and water in a saucepan. Cook slowly,
stirring constantly, 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Stir in nuts.
- Add nuts. (This makes about 2 1/3 cups filling.)
- Date-filled Treasures: Roll out chilled dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured
surface. Cut dough with a scalloped round cookie cutter, cutting 2 scallops for
each filled cookie.
- Place bottom pieces on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drop 1 rounded teaspoon
of date filling on each bottom cookie. Cover with top cookie piece and press edges
together to seal in filling.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges just begin
- Transfer from baking sheet to racks to cool.
Yield: About 5 dozen cookies.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001.