Hershey's Devil's Food Filled Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups unsifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
* To sour milk: use 1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Marshmallow Creme Filling
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup Marshmallow Creme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg
and vanilla extract; beat well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking
soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk or sour milk to creamed mixture.
Beat well. Drop by tablespoonsful onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched
lightly in center.
- Remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire rack.
- Press cookies together in pairs using 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Marshmallow Creme
- Combine butter or margarine and shortening in small mixer bowl; blend well. Gradually
add Marshmallow Creme, blending well. Blend in vanilla extract and confectioners'
sugar until smooth.