Salted Caramel-Stuffed Snickerdoodles
Put a fun twist on a classic snickerdoodle cookie by filling the center with
gooey, soft dulce de leche.
- 1 (13.4 ounce) can dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil. Spoon 40 slightly less than
level measuring teaspoonsful dulce de leche onto cookie sheet. Freeze about
1 hour or until slightly firm (will not freeze solid).
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs.
- Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Press thumb into center of each cookie
to make deep indentation, but do not press all the way to cookie sheet. Place
1 dollop of the dulce de leche into center of each cookie, making sure to form
dough around dollop to enclose. If necessary, work with lightly floured fingers
so dough doesn’t stick. You may have to return dulce de leche dollops to freezer
if they become too warm to work with.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar
mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set (centers will be soft).
- Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
Prep Time 55 min | Total Time 55 min | Servings 40
Expert Tip: Store leftovers covered in plastic wrap or in a plastic storage container
for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information: Serving Size: 1 Cookie Calories 140 ( Calories from
Fat 50), Total Fa t6g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg Sodium
110mg Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 14g), Protein 2g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 2%
Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat;
Carbohydrate Choices:1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from