- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherries, drained well and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa or Dutch process cocoa
- 4 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar together in large bowl until creamy. Add egg and
vanilla extract; beat until fluffy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until
soft dough forms.
- Remove half of dough to medium bowl and blend in chopped cherries and almond
extract. Add cocoa and melted butter to remaining dough, then blend well. Divide
each dough in half.
- Refrigerate dough, if necessary, until firm enough to handle. Between two pieces
of wax paper, roll one portion cherry dough into 8-inch square. Repeat procedure
with one portion of chocolate dough.
- Remove top sheets of wax paper and invert cherry dough onto chocolate dough.
Peel off top sheet of wax paper; use remaining bottom sheet of wax paper as guide
to lift and roll dough into log. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Wrap both rolls in wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 4-5 hours or until
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or just until set.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.