This is an excellent Christmas cookie.
- 2 1/4 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Filling: Combine dates, sugar and water. Cook over low heat until thick, about
- Add nuts. Cool.
- Cookie Dough: Cream shortening. Add brown sugar; cream thoroughly. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift dry ingredients and add. Mix
- Chill dough thoroughly.
- Divide dough and roll into rectangles no more than
1/4-inch thick. Spread with filling and roll.
- Wrap each roll in wax paper. Chill.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Yields 5 dozen.
Unbaked cookies may be kept in refrigerator for a month. May also be frozen.
Bake as needed.