- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup small gumdrops, sliced, black gumdrops removed
- Cream butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract. Beat in egg.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually stir into
creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Shape dough into roll 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches
long. Wrap in wax paper.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Decorate tops with gumdrop slices.
- Bake at 375
degrees F for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before removing
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.