Icebox Butterscotch Slices
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Work shortening in a bowl until creamy. Add vanilla extract and brown sugar and
beat until fluffy. Add egg and beat some more.
- Sift dry ingredients, except walnuts, together. Adding dry ingredients to wet
mixture. Mix only to blend. Stir in walnuts. Knead dough until smooth and form into
- Wrap and chill.
- When ready to bake, cut into thin slices and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.