Iced Lemonade Wafers
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons strained lemon juice
- Cream butter until light. Beat in lemon rind and almond extract.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll lightly into cylinders 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Flatten ends neatly, wrap in plastic film.
- Refrigerate until very cold and firm,
approximately 2 hours (keeps 1 week refrigerated before using).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Using serrated knife, slice chilled dough into pieces about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.
Lay about an inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges
are just barely golden brown and firm to touch - centers will still be pale.
- Place on wire racks to cool.
- Prepare icing by mixing both ingredients until forms a glaze. Brush on surface
of cookies with pastry brush. Allow to cool completely.
- Cover loosely to store.