- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red liquid
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened baking
- Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with wax paper; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
Divide the dough into thirds. Add almond extract and food coloring to one portion;
spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Add nuts to second portion; spread evenly over first layer.
- Add melted chocolate to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with wax
paper; refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap; cut loaf in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/8-inch slices. Place
1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes
or until edges are firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yields 12 dozen.