Vanilla-Chai Icebox Shortbread Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 medium vanilla bean
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- More vanilla bean seed scraping, if desired
- 1 tablespoon
- Dough: In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, allspice
and cardamom; set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, honey and salt in a bowl. Using an electric mixer or wooden
spoon, beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until
- Using a small knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise in half. Scrape the seeds
from both sides of the pod with the tip of the knife and add them to the butter-sugar
mixture. Beat to combine.
- Add in flour-spice mixture, 1 cup at a time, blending until fully incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer each half to a sheet of wax paper; shape
into a 12-inch log, rectangle or square.
- Chill logs at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F with an oven rack in the middle. Line 2 baking sheets
with parchment paper.
- With a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/8-inch thick slices and arrange 1/2 inch
apart on baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer to racks to cool.
- Icing: In a small bowl, whisk together icing ingredients until smooth and transfer to
a sealable plastic bag. Cut a 1/8-inch opening in one corner of bag. Arrange cookies
as close together as possible on sheets of wax paper and drizzle icing decoratively
across the tops.
Yield: 3-4 dozen
Source: America's Dairy Farmers
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.