How to Caramelize Onions
Caramelized Onions can be used on hamburgers, salads, burgers, steaks, chicken, pasta, etc.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable or beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut off the stem ends, and set the onion so that one cut side lays flat on the board.
- Cut the onion in half, from one stem end to the other, and peel of dry outer skins.
- Slice onion in half.
- Place a half, flat side down, on the board, and cut into strips from one stem-end to the other. Repeat for the other half.
- Melt some butter over medium heat in a pan,and place onion strips into the melted butter, using your hands to start to separate out the strips.
- Stir well to coat all the pieces in butter. When it sizzles, reduce heat to LOW.
- Do not stir for about 5 minutes until some little golden edges begin to show.
- Stir well, and let them cook for 20 to 25 minutes more, stirring about every 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/4 cup water or stock to deglaze the pan, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits.
- Cook until the liquid reduces, about another 3 to 5 minutes. If you want them to get a little more done or if you need to pick up more brown bits off the bottom, add 2 tablespoons more water or stock and reduce again.
- Salt and pepper to taste.