How to Caramelize Onions
Caramelized Onions can be used on hamburgers, salads, burgers, steaks,
chicken, pasta, etc.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable or beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut off the stem ends, and set the onion so that one cut side lays flat on the board.
- Cut the onion in half, from one stem end to the other, and peel of dry outer skins.
- Slice onion in half.
- Place a half, flat side down, on the board, and cut into strips from one stem-end to the other.
Repeat for the other half.
- Melt some butter over medium heat in a pan,
and place onion strips into the melted butter, using your hands to start to separate out the strips.
- Stir well to coat all the pieces in butter. When it sizzles, reduce heat to LOW.
- Do not stir for about 5 minutes until some little golden edges begin to show.
- Stir well, and let them cook for 20 to 25 minutes more, stirring about every 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/4 cup water or stock to deglaze the pan, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the
- Cook until the liquid reduces, about another 3 to 5 minutes. If you want them to get a little more
done or if you need to pick up more brown bits off the bottom, add 2 tablespoons more water or
stock and reduce again.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.