How To Prepare Sticky Rice
Sticky Rice is also known as "sweet rice" or "glutinous rice."
Note that Thai sticky is a particular variety of sweet rice, and you must not substitute other varieties with this method. There is also purple (black) sticky rice.
- Rinse rice 2 or 3 times, until water runs clear.
- Place rinsed rice in a bowl and fill with cool water so the water is approximately 2 to 3 inches above the rice.
- Let the rice stand in water for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain the rice, place it in a cheesecloth, wrap it up and put the cheesecloth inside bamboo steamer.
- Put 6 to 8 cups of water in sticky rice steamer and bring to a boil.
- Place bamboo steamer inside sticky rice steamer. Be sure the bottom of the bamboo steamer does not touch the boiling water.
- Place a standard 8 inch lid loosely over the top of the bamboo steamer.
- Steam the rice for 45 minutes (or until tender).