Dipped Lemon Meringue Fingers
Light and airy lemon-touched meringues dipped in either white or dark melted
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL
HOUSE® Premier White and/or Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 2 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or
lightly grease and flour.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in small mixer bowl on high speed until
soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beating on high speed, gradually add sugar
until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Beat in lemon peel, lemon extract and 2 to 3 drops of food coloring.
- Spoon meringue into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip or gallon-size food
storage bag with 1/2 inch snipped from corner of bag. Pipe meringue in 3-inch lengths,
about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. You will have about 54 total.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating sheets between upper and lower oven racks
halfway through baking.
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper.
- Melt morsels and vegetable shortening in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl
on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; stir. Morsels may retain some of their
original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals,
stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip top of one end of each cookie into melted chocolate.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Let stand at room temperature to set chocolate.
- Store between layers in airtight container at room temperature.
15 min. prep
50 min. total
9 servings, 6 cookies each
Orange zest and extract can be substituted for the lemon zest and extract.
Reprinted with permission from
Nestle and meals.com