Lemon Meringue Cookies
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon
finely grated lemon zest
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and
- Beat egg whites and salt in small bowl at high electric-mixer speed until frothy.
- With mixer still at high speed, add sugar gradually and continue beating until meringue
peaks stiffly (about 4 minutes).
- Beat in vanilla extract, then by hand fold in lemon
- Drop meringue from rounded teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches
- Set in oven, immediately turn oven off, and let cookies remain in the oven
for 2 hours (you can leave them in overnight).
- Peel meringue off parchment and store in airtight container.
Makes about two dozen cookies.
A cookie contains 23 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g cholesterol and 17 mg sodium
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 30, 2001.