When the weather outside is frightful, satisfy your sweet tooth in the kitchen
with these festive snowballs. Canola oil highlights the delicious apricot, almond
and vanilla flavors!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 560 mL
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch 45 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 3/4 cup canola oil 175 mL
- 2 tablespoons water 30 mL
- 1 teaspoon almond extract 5 mL
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped 125 mL
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots 125 mL
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, for rolling 425 mL
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt until completely
- Add canola oil and beat until well combined.
- Add water, almond and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Stir in almonds and dried apricots.
- Scoop batter with small ice cream scooper, melon baller or spoon, making
all same size.
- Place them on ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- Bake cookies about 12 to 15 minutes or until just set.
- Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire rack until
- Pour confectioners' sugar into bowl. While cookies are still warm, but not
hot, roll in confectioners' sugar. It will adhere slightly to cookies, making
them look like snowballs. Return cookies to wire rack and when totally cooled,
roll in confectioners' sugar again.
- Store in airtight container for up to five days.
Yield: 36 snowballs
Tip: Roll the cookies in the second coating of confectioners' sugar right before
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 130 Total Fat Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 20mg Potassium 42mg Carbohydrates 20g Fiber 0g Sugar 13g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: