- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar for rolling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together sugars and butter. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add to mix. Roll
into small balls, then roll in sugar. Do not flatten.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets
until golden brown, flat, and cracked on top, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from
oven as soon as tops are cracked.