Caramel Apple Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red and green food coloring pastes
- 24 green wooden craft sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer set on high, beat butter and both sugars until
fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and vanilla extract; beat in flour mixture.
- Remove 1/3 cup of dough to a small mixing bowl; tint green. Tint remaining dough
red; divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the red dough to a 1/4-inch thickness.
Using an apple-shaped template or cookie cutter, cut dough into shapes; place 3
inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place a craft stick under "stem"
end of each cookie, pressing dough lightly. Using your fingers, mold a small piece
of green dough into a leaf shape and place on top of each apple cutout on baking
sheet. Repeat rolling and cutting process with remaining dough.
- Bake until crisp
but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat, stirring often, until
smooth. Set a wire rack over a wax papered baking sheet. Dip the cookie bottoms
into melted caramel and then into chopped nuts. Let cookies stand until caramel
is set, about 1 hour.
- To store cookies, be sure the caramel is completely set and wrap each cookie
individually in waxed paper. Do not try to stack the cookies before the caramel
Makes about 2 dozen.
Tip: For a favorite teacher, attach halved spearmint leaf candies and pipe a
stem and message on the apple with melted chocolate.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 4:11:55pm 9/16/03