- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 36 vanilla caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels (1 cup)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour,
cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie
sheet. Flatten slightly with greased bottom of glass dipped into sugar. Press pecans
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Cool slightly; remove
from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
- Place caramels and milk in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave uncovered on HIGH
for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Spoon over cookies.
Place 1/4 cup of the chocolate morsels in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave
uncovered on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chocolate morsels until
smooth. If necessary, microwave 10 to 20 seconds or until mixture can be stirred
smooth. Spoon chocolate over caramel. Cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 10/15/2001 10:01 am.