Cherry Nut Nuggets
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped pecans
- Maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Cream shortening and cream cheese together. Gradually add sugar, beating until
light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract. Beat well.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Stir into creamed mixture.
- Chill dough for at
least one hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in pecans and place on ungreased cooking
sheets. Gently press a cherry half into the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees
F for 16 to 18 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen.