Cherry Nut Topped Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup chopped red candied cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves or strawberry jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract,
almond and egg; blend well. Stir in flour and baking powder. mix well.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, shape each part
into a 12 x 3/4 inch roll; place on ungreased cookie sheets. Using handle of a wooden
spoon or finger make an indentation about 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep, lengthwise
down the center of each roll.
- In a small bowl, combine candied cherries, pecans and preserves. Fill each dough
indentation with 2 tablespoons of the cherry mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes; cut each
log diagonally into 12 pieces. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.