Chocolate Caramel Delights
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 14 caramels
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Beat sugar, butter, egg yolk, milk, vanilla extract until blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt in small bowl; blend into sugar/butter mixture.
Chill dough at least one hour. Overnight is best.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg white slightly. Shape dough into small balls. Dip each ball into egg
white; roll into pecans to coat. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
Press thumb gently in center of each ball.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- While cookies bake, prepare caramel filling. After cookies bake, press center
of cookie again with thumb to make indentation. Immediately spoon about 1/4 to 1/2
teaspoon caramel filling in center.
- Drizzle chocolate over tops of cookies.
Yield: 3 dozen