Chocolate Teddy Bears
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa or
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large mixer bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add
eggs; blend well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture,
- Chill until dough is firm enough to handle.
- To shape teddy bears, form a 1- to 1 1/2-inch ball of dough for the body; a 3/4
- to 1-inch ball for the head; four 1/2-inch balls for arms and legs; two smaller
balls for ears; one tiny ball for nose and four tiny balls for paws (optional).
- On ungreased cookie sheet, flatten large ball slightly for body. Attach medium-size
ball for head by overlapping slightly onto body. Place balls for arms, legs and
ears, and a tiny ball on head for nose. Arrange other tiny balls atop ends of legs
and arms for paws, if desired.
- With wooden pick, draw eyes and mouth; pierce small hole at top of cookie for
use as hanging ornament, if desired.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 1 minute
on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Store in covered container.
- If cookies will be used as ornaments, allow to dry
on wire rack at least 6 hours before hanging. Pull ribbon through hole for hanging.
Makes 14 cookies.
* Use real butter or stick margarine. Do not substitute reduced-fat spreads;
their higher water content often yields less-satisfactory results.
Source: Hershey's Make It Chocolate!