Clothespin Cookies with Ricotta Filling
Use well-greased peg-type wooden clothespins with no metal.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/2 package)
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped candied red cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied green cherries
- 1 pound smooth ricotta
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- Soften yeast in warm milk; set aside. In a large bowl cut butter into flour until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add yeast mixture, eggs, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- The next day prepare the ricotta filling by blending all the filling ingredients
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half on a floured board to make a 10-inch
square. Cut into 14 strips, each 10 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Wrap each strip
in a spiral around the length of a well-greased clothespin.
- Place clothespins on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake about 20 minutes, until light brown.
- Remove clothespins carefully; cool cookies on a rack.
- Using a pastry bag with a wide opening, pipe the Ricotta Filling into cookies.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.